Saturday, September 3, 2016

Star Attraction

"Congratulations, Alexandria!" My mother cheerfully hugged me.  I smiled broadly inside of her embrace.


My dad patted me roughly on the back 3 times.  That was about as much affection as he ever showed.  But it didn't matter, I knew he loved me.  He showed it in other ways.


"We'll meet you at the Roadhouse, Lex," my dad simply stated.  Then he winked at me. 


Brett, my boyfriend of 2 years, put his arm around my shoulder and we strolled to his car, where he opened the door for me, then closed it behind me, ever the gentleman.


As we drove to Texas Roadhouse, I stared out the window, watching the small town pass by, knowing it wouldn't be long until I'd be gone.  We had just finished up senior awards, where I'd received a lot.  A lot of people thought my life was charmed, but I knew how much sacrifice and hard work my parents had put in to get me to where I was.  It was probably why I was so humble, in spite of my seeming privileges.  Perfect grades, "perfect" body, full ride scholarship to University of Miami for cheerleading, perfect boyfriend: I had it all. 


However, I knew that going to a "fancy" restaurant such as Texas Roadhouse was a huge monetary sacrifice for my parents.  With only finals left of this semester, my parents knew they had a few months left with me before I left for the big time.  I was their only child, their pride and joy.  Raised with good morals and strong convictions.  A good example was that even though Brett and I had been together for 2 years, we hadn't ever had sex.  I wanted to wait until marriage.  I wanted the love and commitment that I saw demonstrated from my parents, and I wasn't going to settle for anything less.


We had to go to the next town over to get to Texas Roadhouse.  Our town was too small.  About 45 minutes later, we arrived.  We had pulled out before my parents, so we went in to get reservations.


"Four, please," I smiled kindly at the hostess.  I worked in our small diner back home, so I understood how important it is to be nice to those who could have a say in the preparation of your food.


We were seated and Brett and I started discussing plans for the upcoming year.  Miami was a long way from our small town in Ohio.  Brett had actually applied to go to Miami so we could be together, and he had gotten in.  However, being down there wasn't his dream.  That was mine.  I had asked him to give it a year and then if he was miserable, we could consider going somewhere else.  So that was our deal.


10 minutes passed.


20 minutes passed.


I finally realized my parents should've arrived by now.  I grabbed my cell phone and called them, but it just rang with no answer.  I tried a couple more times, but there still was no answer.


We ordered an appetizer and waters, ate and then left.  I thought maybe Brett was in on this.  Maybe they had planned a surprise party back at the house, and this was the plan to have time to set up.  Brett didn't seem concerned.


We pulled back out onto the highway.  About 10 minutes into our drive is when we saw it.  The flashing lights.  The backed-up traffic on the other side of the median.  My parents car overturned.  A body laying on the road with a sheet covering it.  Another one being put into the back of an ambulance.


My heart stopped that night, and my life changed forever.


XXXXXXX 5 Years Later XXXXXXX


I shrugged my duffel bag higher on my shoulder as I walked briskly towards work.  I didn't want to be late.  Not tonight.  I checked my watch one more time.  I'd made good time so I slowed my pace a little.


I took deep breaths, trying to lower my body heat, too.  I didn't have time to take a shower when I got there, and couldn't be sweaty, but the humidity in Key West was taking it's toll.


My hotel wasn't actually that far away, it just felt like it was.  As I neared, I could see the sign with the bright flashing lights.  I took my phone out to snap a picture.  "Tonight Starring Lexxxy."


I grinned to myself.  My first time being the star attraction, the headliner.  I had made a name for myself.


I tugged the heavy door open, and stepped into the gentleman's club.

14 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued! I can't wait to read more. Glad to have you back, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. Hopefully it keeps intriguing! :) And thank you, ma'am. I look forward to your posts all the time, btw. Your storytelling/writing is captivating!

      Delete
    2. Ah, man, you're going to make me blush. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn girl! I like it!! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol thanks! Come back Wednesday for another!

      Delete
  4. Damn girl! I like it!! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited to read more!! You said you have two posts!!! Post away!!! Please!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.. I love the excitement! Next one is scheduled for Wednesday, and I think again on Saturday :)

      Delete
  6. I'm from Ohio and was excited for the Ohio setting lol. Interested to see what happened in those 5 years

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intriguing to say the least!! I was born/raised/live in OH so I was excited to see that callout. :) Interested to see what road paved her way to Key West!

    ReplyDelete
  8. More More!!! So excited for you to start your new blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I will definitely be back. Can't wait to read more!!!!!

    ReplyDelete