Thursday, November 3, 2016

Let's Get This Over With

I heard a groan as my hand struck scalp.


I cautiously peeked one eye open, more fearful of the light than who was actually next to me.  "Well, hello beautiful," Megan croaked at me.


I laughed a miserable cackle.  "You look how I feel."


She grabbed the blanket and pulled it up to cover her face.  "Then I must be beautiful, too."


"Where are we?" I asked, trying to look around, but the light was making my head start to throb already.  I could tell that it wasn't a hotel, and that's about as far as I got.


"Fuck if I know," she mumbled.


"Is this your place?"  I started massaging my temples, hoping that would ease the pain.  "If so, where's your Advil?"


No response.


"Megan!" I hissed at her, nudging her with my elbow.  She grunted, but didn't move.


I sighed and slowly sat up, trying to make a quick judgment of whether I was to the point of being sick, or just incredibly dehydrated, hence the headache.  My stomach felt kind of nauseous, but not puke-y.  Yet.


I noted that I had on a large oversized t-shirt, and nothing else, but it was long enough to cover everything.  Good enough, I thought.  I mentally noted to thank Megan later for dressing me in something much more comfortable in my drunken stupor.  I also wondered how cooperative I had been.  I laughed a little at the thought of fighting her to get the shirt over my head. 


There was a bathroom in her bedroom so I went in and searched the medicine cabinet, but didn't see any pain meds.  I moaned again at how rough I looked.  My hair a tangled, fluffy mess, my dark eyeliner and mascara giving me raccoon eyes.  I wiped at my eyes with my fingers, lessening the appearance of day old makeup. 


I noticed how messy she was, with a bath towel laying on the floor next to the tub.  I padded out of the bathroom back through the bedroom and towards the door I assumed lead to the rest of the house.  When I opened the door, I confirmed that was the case.


I started down the hallway and heard voices talking softly as I got closer to an open area.  The end of the hall opened up into an open concept living area.  The kitchen and dining area were on my right and the living space plus a bookcase'd off office on the other side with floor to ceiling windows.  At the end of the hall pillars took over where the walls left off rising up to the vaulted ceiling, dividing the two halves of the open area.  I took a couple more steps out into the area, squinting still in the abrasive light, finally locating the voices, sitting at a large high-top table. 


I half smiled at the sight of Toby and Jeremiah sitting there.  I started walking towards them.  Jeremiah was facing me, Toby's back was to me.  Jeremiah slightly nodded his head towards me and Toby turned around.  He grinned widely, taking in my appearance.


I grinned, shyly, then.  I cleared my throat.  "Uh, sorry I didn't get more dressed up."  For being naked as my job, I sure felt self-conscious for not being fully dressed.


He shook his head.  "How are you feeling?"


I wrinkled my nose.  "Can I get something for this headache, please?"


He laughed gently.  "Of course."  He walked towards the kitchen.


"So...," I began, "where are we?  And what in the world happened last night? Oh!  Also, what time is it?"


The guys both chuckled.


Jeremiah started.  "This is Toby's and my place."


"Oh!  You guys are... partners?"


He looked at me weird.  "Um, no.  Roommates."  Then he smiled giving Toby the side eye.  "Although, if I was, Toby over there would be right up my alley."  And he wiggled his eyebrows at me.


I laughed. 


Toby came walking back over towards with Advil in one hand and a large bottle of water in the other.  "Hmm, that may be, but Jer over there isn't really my type.  I prefer my men a little more manly."  Jeremiah scoffed.  "Anyway, we were dancing, and you and Megan both went downhill quickly.  Nothing too exciting happened, but neither of you were really accurately able to tell us where either of you live, so we just brought you back here.  You two crashed in my room, and I slept out here." He motioned towards the couch.  I felt bad hearing that, but was super thankful that they were actually really good guys and didn't take advantage of either of us.


"Neither of us could tell you where we lived?"  I asked skeptically.


"Nope.  In fact, when I asked you kept telling me you lived - and I quote - at the hotel motel Holiday Inn."  Toby started laughing then and Jeremiah guffawed. 


I closed my eyes and shook my head.  Of course I did.  I opened them and looked back at them.  "Well, I wasn't entirely wrong.  I don't live here.  I'm staying in a hotel, but it is not the Holiday Inn."


"Anyway, Jer and I weren't sure if you two worked tonight, but it's 11:30 right now, and we were hoping to take you both to lunch, since brunch has passed."  He grinned at me, expectantly.


My headache was still present, and my stomach wasn't 100, but I knew eating something greasy would probably help.  Especially since we both did work that night.  "I would possibly be up to it, but definitely need to shower and change clothing.  I doubt my current clothing would be appropriate for anywhere we were to go.  And I want to make sure Megan is ok with that plan, too."


I went back to the bedroom and crawled into bed next to her, shoving her a couple of times.  She tried pulling the pillow over her head, but I grabbed it and threw it on the floor.  "Bitch," she whispered.


"Get up, we need to leave."


"What?  Why?" she whined.


"This isn't your house.  Toby and Jeremiah live here."


"Who?"


"The guys from last night!" I hissed at her, exasperated.  "They want to take us to lunch."


"I feel like death."


"I know, that's why I came brandishing gifts."


She hesitantly opened her eyes at me, then.  I held out some Advil and water to her, and she gratefully snatched them from me.  She hoisted herself up to sitting.  "Ok.  Fine.  Let's get this over with."


I grinned at her, actually a little excited to get to know Toby better.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You're back! I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So who changed her clothes for her???? Looking forward to more! mum

    ReplyDelete